Application for Homestay
Homestay Student Obligations and House Rules
The homestay student agrees to:
- Abide by the laws of Canada, including local, provincial, and national.
- Respect the host, their family, and all property.
- Follow the house rules defined by the host.
- Have current and complete medical coverage while in Canada.
- Abide by the requirements of the school.*
- Inform the homestay host of any allergies, medication, and special needs.
- Provide a minimum of a 60-day notice to terminate the homestay agreement.
The school strictly forbids the following:
- Local calling is provided to the student free of charge.
- Long-distance calling is permitted only with calling cards purchased by the student.
- The student will be present at normal meal times or prepare the meal(s) themselves unless arranged otherwise.
- Over-night guests are not permitted without the consent of the host.
- Curfew set by host family must be respected. Overnight/sleeping guests are not permitted at any time. Daytime/after school guest are only permitted with advanced approval from the host.
- Smoking and alcoholic drinks are not permitted in the house.
- The student is responsible for his/her own laundry.
- Internet will be provided to students for study purpose and limited entertainment. Extra internet usage will be paid by students.
- The possession and/or use of illicit drugs will not be tolerated and will result in termination of the contract.
- The homestay student will keep the host informed in advance if eating outside or being late for dinner.
- The homestay student is responsible for any loss or damage caused to the homestay property.
- The student must have current and complete medical insurance coverage.
- The homestay host is not responsible for any lost, damaged or stolen items belonging to the student.
- Violation of any Canadian laws will result in contract termination without refund.
- Breaking of any of these rules may result in contract termination without refund.
- The homestay student must keep their room neat and tidy.
- The homestay student will terminate all mailings related to bank accounts, cell phone services, school, etc. before leaving Canada.
Breaches of these rules including the defiance of school authority will be viewed most seriously and may result in suspension, possibly dismissal. In some cases, it may be appropriate for the school to involve the participation of the Police.
Parents and students should know the School Act authorizes administrative officers, teachers, and other appropriate personnel at Toronto International Academy to discipline students, in the classroom, the school at large and in extra-curricular situations.
*Excessive absences, missing homework and assignments, and cheating on tests, exams and assignments will result in NO CREDIT being given for the student’s course work. In case students request any extra sessions from the teacher in addition to regular classes, the students will get permission from the school first and be responsible for covering additional fees for these sessions.